It is compulsory to fix the foundation of any building first. SEO Audit does the same for a Shopify store. If done correctly, one can anticipate an improvement in their current organic traffic situation, support for other SEO tactics, and continuous traffic and conversions.
Prioritizing an SEO audit is not just beneficial, but it is crucial for the survival and success of the store.
This article will describe the Shopify SEO audit’s objectives and benefits. In addition, crucial factors one needs to consider when adopting and the tools required for the process will be discussed.
Buckle up and get ready to transform your store’s visibility by following 11 simple steps to a fruitful Shopify SEO Audit.
What Exactly is Shopify SEO Audit?
It is a process of analyzing the SEO performance of a store by identifying areas that require improvement. It involves examining the content, technical setup, backlinks, and other store areas to identify issues preventing visibility in search engine results.
There are some situations when the best SEO tactics do not work, even though applied carefully. In such cases, weak technical setup is the cause. But, if these issues are identified and rectified through an audit, a store’s SEO ranking will surely increase.
The Purpose of SEO Audit for Shopify Stores
SEO audit determines the cause of a dip in the store’s performance. The current situation of the store is assessed, and the areas that require improvement are analyzed.
An SEO audit helps to:
- Identify SEO issues
- Improve store visibility
- Optimize user experience
- Enhance On-page SEO
- Analyze competitors’ performance
The performance of a store is reviewed keeping in mind these objectives. Any store that strives to become more visible and get qualified leads should go for it.
Moreover, it is an extensive and time-consuming process, so starting with a clear purpose is necessary to run it successfully.
Benefits of Conducting Shopify SEO Audits
SEO audits impact the store’s sales positively and are worthy of the time it requires, provided done correctly.
Conducting the process brings out the following benefits:
Improved Search Engine Visibility: An SEO audit provides invaluable information about the organic presence of a store in the search results. It tells about the keyword assisting in ranking.
For example, A store selling ceramic mugs had the product title- handcrafted ceramic mugs and a generic description. But, after the audit, they added keywords used by potential customers in the title tag and descriptions as “unique ceramic coffee mugs”. They saw improvement in visibility by such a small but significant change.
Increased Organic Traffic: With improved search engine visibility after the audit, one can expect increased organic traffic to their store. The addition of relevant keywords will attract targeted visitors looking for the products.
For instance: A store selling yoga mats had generic product titles and descriptions. But, after the audit, they updated the title and description using the keyword “sustainable yoga mats,” which attracted high-volume traffic.
Better Conversion Rates: Even though some stores are getting good leads but are unable to make conversions. After the SEO audit, they will know the cause behind it.
Like: A store focussed on improving the user experience and keyword targeting after an audit and got better conversion rates than before.
Improved Site Navigation and Structure: An SEO audit helps detect the issues related to the navigation and site structure of different pages in a store.
For instance, a Shopify store selling clothing store resolved broken internal links and unclear hierarchical structure issues through an audit. It helped them in reducing bounce rates and improvement in conversion rates.
Competitive Advantage: SEO audit helps in outperforming competitors in search engine rankings. One can expect an increase in market share, better analysis of products, and a well-thought strategy for their store.
Thus, conducting an SEO audit increases organic traffic, user engagement, and conversion rate improvement, which will drive success for a Shopify store.
Components of Shopify SEO Audit
Shopify SEO audit is all about assessing the friendliness of the store to search engines and users. Each element plays a considerable role, so a holistic approach is required.
At Visibility Gurus, we understand its significance and combine our experience and passion in tailoring strategies for each Shopify store type, yielding tangible results.
Let’s describe our way of auditing the SEO of a Shopify store.
It is the foundation step of an SEO audit that helps stores to stay updated with the trend and eases the refinement of keyword strategy.
Our team researches, selects, and analyzes keywords consistently to optimize the client’s store with a fresh approach.
The process goes like this:
- We understand the target audience and products of our client’s store first. Discover difficult-to-catch hidden keyword phrases and incorporate them into the store.
- Long-tail keywords are paid special attention as these are more specific and have lesser competition. We incorporate them into product descriptions, blog posts, and other content and give equal importance to every page as each one matters significantly for the store.
- The difficulty of ranking for certain keywords is evaluated using specific tools, and the ones with reasonable difficulty levels are targeted only.
- After identification, keywords are mapped to the specific pages of the store. Primary and secondary keywords are added naturally on each page to help search engines understand the relevance of each page.
- Identified keywords are added strategically in meta titles, meta descriptions, and throughout the store’s content, ensuring the natural flow.
The next step involves auditing the store’s site architecture, optimized for search engines and better user experience. We run the audit as follows:
- The URLs of the product, category, and blog pages are reviewed first. These are made descriptive and user-friendly, and ensure that these reflect the content of the page.
- Relevant keywords, like targeted ones, are added to URLs that accurately represent the page’s content.
- Canonical URLs are implemented correctly, and ensure that these are in place and there is no duplicate content on the store.
- URL redirects within the store are appropriately examined to preserve link equity and ensure a smooth user experience.
- Broken or dead links are removed from the store to maintain a healthy website structure.
- The hierarchy of URLs is analyzed to ensure logical and organized categorization in the store. Subfolders and subdomains are used to structure content and create a clear order.
- The XML sitemap of the store is evaluated to ensure that it includes all the relevant pages and URLs of the website/store that assists in the crawling and indexing process.
Product Page Assessment
Product pages play a crucial role in attracting organic traffic and driving conversions. Our focus is to optimize design elements to enhance user experience and increase visibility. For its auditing, here are the steps we follow:
- Product titles are made descriptive and concise, and relevant keywords are included. It optimizes the title accurately and attracts search engine visibility.
- Unique and informative descriptions are used for each product to highlight its features and benefits.
- The quality and relevance of product images are evaluated. For a clear representation of the product, high-resolution images are used. Also, image file names and alt tags with descriptive keywords are added to enhance search engine visibility.
- CTA buttons are displayed and ensured to be clickable easily. Its design, placement, and wording are optimized to encourage conversions.
- The page load speed of product pages is assessed. If there is unnecessary code or cache in the store, these are minimized, and image sizes are optimized.
It is done to detect issues in content structure, internal linking, crawling, and user experience. The process involves steps as:
- Meta title and description tags of each web page are optimized. As per the length and readability, these are optimized to expect click-through rates from search engine results.
- Heading tags on each page are assessed and structured logically as well. Proper heading hierarchy aids search engines in understanding page structure and improves user readability.
Product Tags and Collections
While conducting an SEO audit, product tags, and collections in the store are also optimized for enhancing user experience and better visibility.
- Existing product tags and collections are reviewed to assess their relevance and effectiveness in categorizing and grouping products.
- Relevant keywords are searched and updated into product tags and collections. It makes the tags specific and descriptive.
It lets the store owners know their store’s quality, relevance, and overall backlink profile. Additionally, backlink auditing can give one an idea of spammy and unnatural links.
- Using tools like Google Search Console or any third-party backlink analysis, we export the backlink data to a spreadsheet for further analysis.
- The quality of each backlink pointing to the website is reviewed. If it is a low or irrelevant website, it can harm the SEO of the store—however, high-quality websites related to the store help in enhancing the SEO efforts.
- The distribution of anchor text is analyzed. A diverse mix of such texts includes branded anchor texts, keyword-rich texts, and natural variations.
- A competitive backlink analysis is performed to evaluate the store’s position compared to competitors.
It is imperative to maintain a store’s technical aspects. It ensures that its web pages are correctly optimized for search engines or not.
- We crawl the store to identify and gather data about the website’s structure, URLs, and on-page elements.
- Shopify’s pages are verified to ensure that search engines have indexed them. The robots.txt file is examined to ensure that it is correctly configured. If there are unintentional blocks that restrict search engine access to important pages of the store, these are removed.
- Relevant schema markup, like product schema, is used. It enhances search engine visibility and improves rich snippets in search results.
- Other than mentioned elements, page speed and mobile friendliness are also audited.
It helps assess the quality, relevance, and performance of the existing content of a store. To complete the process, we follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Content auditing begins with defining the goals and objectives per the store’s SEO strategy. To improve, we compile an inventory including product descriptions, blog posts, landing pages, and category pages. Then, the content is organized into relevant categories to facilitate analysis.
- The content’s relevance is determined by whether it aligns with the target keywords and audience. Keyword research is also conducted per the user’s search intent and analyzed so that the existing content effectively incorporates keywords.
- With the help of Google Analytics, metrics like page views, bounce rate, time on page, and conversion rates are identified to analyze the content performance.
- The content is reviewed for SEO optimization. Factors like title tags, meta descriptions, headers, and URL structure are assessed and optimized for relevant keywords using SEO best practices.
- Duplicate content is identified, and canonical tags or 301 redirects are used to consolidate duplicate pages and avoid duplication issues.
User Experience Audit
To decrease bounce rates and increase conversion rates, auditing user experience becomes compulsory. If there are no broken links on the store, viewing it would be easier for the customer. Let’s know the steps of user experience auditing our expert team uses.
- User experience goals are set up according to the store’s business objectives. The website’s navigation structure is evaluated by checking the navigation on the Main menus and the organization of categories and subcategories to check the user-friendly aspect.
- The store’s speed and performance are assessed. If it is found to be low, images are optimized, and code is minimized so that the store owner can leverage caching techniques.
- The website’s user flow pattern is analyzed for a better user experience. It helps in understanding what problems a user face while navigating the store.
- Humans tend to get attracted more to visuals than texts. That is why the visual appeal is evaluated during auditing. Also, the layout, color scheme, and consistency are aligned with the brand.
- We pay attention to “Add to cart” as it is crucial to the overall Shopify store experience. The button’s design, color, and size make it stand out, which helps users to identify and understand its purpose.
Mobile Version Audit
The majority of customers prefer shopping through mobile devices. So the mobile version is paid special attention while auditing. The store is optimized for different screen sizes so that customers can enjoy a seamless experience.
- We verify that the store is mobile-responsive by adjusting its layout, images, text, and interactive elements.
- We also evaluate site navigation and ease of use. Furthermore, we check the purchasing process and fill out forms like mobile users, ensuring no technical issues.
- Analysis of mobile-specific meta tags and content optimization is done at our end to ensure the search engine’s visibility.
- Cross-browser compatibility is tested, which helps identify any store inconsistencies.
We include competitive analysis in our auditing process. It helps us understand where the store stands compared to its competitors. Accordingly, we frame strategies to outrank them. Here are some effective steps taken by our team:
- We identify direct and indirect competitors within the same niche as our clients’. The ones with good-ranking target keywords are analyzed. It helps us discover more keyword opportunities.
- The quality and quantity of backlink profiles are assessed, and we link the client’s website to those authoritative websites.
- Next, we review the content strategies of the contender’s stores to gain insights into their content types and use their ways to improve the content of our client’s store.
Other conversion strategies employed by competitors are analyzed. Their website layout and conversion optimization techniques help us improve the client’s store.
Reporting Assessment – Google GA4 tags, FB tags.
We conduct a Reporting assessment for auditing the SEO of a store, focusing on Google Analytics 4 and Facebook (FB) tags. Here are the steps followed by our professionals:
- The first step is to check the tags’ implementation on all the relevant pages. It ensures that the visitor’s data, like page views, bounce rates, and conversions, are accurately recorded in the GA4 reporting interface.
- We assess whether implementing the Facebook pixel on the store is installed and configured correctly for Facebook tags. Fixing the issues helps the store in advertising campaign tracking.
This data helps us to make decisions about optimization efforts and measure the effectiveness of marketing strategies.
Things to Keep in Mind While Performing Shopify SEO Audit
The quality of the work makes an expert company outstand from others. Otherwise, there are many SEO service providers in the market.
So, along with following the abovementioned most effective steps, we keep certain significant things in mind while performing the audit.
- An action plan is developed before diving into the process of auditing. This strategic approach ensures every step is purposeful, efficient, and geared towards maximizing the store’s SEO potential.
- Aligning the audit with best-established SEO practices increases the chances of positioning the store in the highly competitive online landscape.
- Shopify SEO Checklist, a complete and trusted resource, is always consulted as it serves as a roadmap that guides through each crucial step of optimization of the store.
- Efficient, scalable, and reliable SEO tools help a store stand out. These streamline the audit process and give accurate and reliable results.
- While auditing, Shopify technical guidelines are adhered to ensure optimal store performance.
Tools for Shopify SEO Audit
Using efficient tools can indeed move SEO auditing to the next level and help amplify a store’s product visibility and sales performance. By unlocking the power of tools, one can delve deep into processes, analyze the data, and make informed decisions.
Here are some top tools used while auditing a Shopify store:
Keyword Research: These tools make it easier to find the right keywords to target and give the data required to rank for them.
- Google Keyword Planner
- Moz Keyword Explorer
Backlink Analysis: After building quality backlinks, it is time to check the profile status of the store. Use these tools and improve your search engine authority and a good ranking.
- SE Ranking
Website Speed Test Tools: To get recommendations to improve page load times, mobile responsiveness, and overall user experience, one can use the following tools:
- Google PageSpeed Insights
- WebPage Test
- Shopify Analyzer
SEO Crawling Tools: To have valuable data on URL structure, internal linking, meta tags, response codes, duplicate content, and other technical aspects, use:
- Screaming Frog
Google Tools For SEO: To track organic traffic, monitor user engagement and identify areas for improvement, one can use Google Analytics. It provides comprehensive data on website traffic, user behavior, and conversions.
One can use Google Search Console to get insights into keyword impressions, crawls, clicks, and other significant SEO metrics. It allows the store owner to monitor their store’s presence in Google search results.
Conclusively, if a store is not keeping up, it is not only falling away from the competition but also becoming invisible on the search engine. That is why SEO auditing is mandatory and required for every Shopify store.
Trust us; we will use our best strategic approach for auditing your Shopify store and present the store just like you always wanted!
For more information, visit our official website right away.
Q – Can I do Shopify SEO Audit myself?
Ans. One can perform SEO audits themselves, as tools and resources are readily available. However, a professional SEO auditing services provider will offer a much more thorough, comprehensive, and accurate evaluation of the store’s SEO.
Q – How much does it cost?
Ans. The cost of SEO auditing services can vary widely depending on the size and complexity of a store. A small to midsize business store can cost between $1500 to $10,000 per month.
However, Shopify Plus stores cost between $10,000 to $40,000 per month.
Q – How often should I do an audit for my Shopify store?
Ans. The frequency of doing an audit for a Shopify store depends on the industry’s competition level, website updates, and your store’s performance. Generally, doing an audit at least once every quarter is advisable.
Regularly looking into analytics and SEO practices can help you deduce problems quickly and generate more sales.
Q – How much time does a Shopify SEO Audit take?
Ans. On average, Shopify SEO audits can take a few days to a few weeks. It all depends on store size and the scope of the audit.
An audit by free SEO checker tool can show immediate results, but are not accurate or comprehensive as a manual audit.
Q – Where can I find a checklist for SEO Shopify Audit?
Ans. Checklists serve as a useful framework for an SEO audit. If you are looking for it, explore Shopify SEO Checklist, customize them as per your store’s business goals and unique aspects.